Spiritual Development for all Pupils: The contribution of worldview eduction (Lead)
Course Code: AL1909
Purpose of this course:
The course has been designed to give you access to some of the current thinking on addressing the spiritual growth of all students in your class, acknowledging their multi-faith backgrounds and with a heart to want students to understand the gospel of Jesus Christ. The course is based on the research of Professor Trevor Cooling and associates and the Agora of the same name.
The course structure and timing:
Spiritual Development for All Pupils is a ten-hour, online course. The course has three modules and involves Readings, Videos and Interactive Learning Tasks – discussions and reflection exercise that are an application of the learning to the participant’s school situation.
Explicit course outcomes:
- To develop a critical understanding of the place of a worldview in understanding the development of the whole child.
- To lead a team in developing their understanding of the significance student of worldview.
- To lead a team in developing an approach to having 'a conversation between knowledge and worldview' with students.
- To help the team to reflect on and set achievable personal goals for improving classroom practice in encouraging all students to explore their own worldview that gives meaning to their life.
- The participant can express an understanding of the key research findings.
- The participant engages with the discussion and raises concerns about critical issues raised by this research.
- The participant shows evidence of engaging with their team to develop their understanding of the significance of the concept of their student's worldview.
- The participant leads the team in discussion about how to have a conversation between knowledge and the students' worldviews and debriefs with the team after each practices this skill.
- The participant facilitates a meeting where each team member sets a personal goal for improving their classroom practice of helping students to identify and critically challenge their own worldviews.
Module 1: The power of exploring worldview
This module explains the key concept of 'Worldview' and how it is formed over time. It then looks at the overlay of secularism in today's world. Learning task 1.1 involves leading a group to explore the power of different perspectives in a Bible story. Learning task 1.2 involves leading a group to explore the diversity of worldviews and how they are formed.
Module 2: Understanding the research
Module 2 explores the research in this area. It begins with a summary of the key ideas, then you will watch the video presentation from the EdComm Agora and have an opportunity to engage at a deeper level with the ideas presented by asking your questions about the video. The video examines how exploring worldview and its presuppositions can be used to in the faith development of students. Learning task 2.1 involves leading a group to investigate and respond to the ideas presented in the video. Learning task 2.2 involves leading a group to investigate and respond to the ideas presented in the readings.
Module 3: Application of the research
In this module you are challenged with the idea that 'the job of a teacher is to create a conversation in the gap between knowledge and personal worldview' and you will be applying your learning to your school situation. Learning task 3.1 involves leading a group to design an exercise in curiosity that will give some insight into the worldviews of their pupils. Learning task 3.2 involves leading a group to design and implement an exercise to practice the concept of ‘critical realism'. Learning task 3.3 is a reflection on the learning. Learning task 3.4 asks participants to assess their learning and the course. As the focus of this module is the application of the research, the tasks ask participants to experiment in their classrooms. Participants also complete self and course evaluation exercises.
$200pp for Anglican EdComm Member Schools
$200pp for Anglican EdComm Individual Members
$400pp for Non-member Schools
Contact EdComm Professional Learning regarding upcoming course dates.